Last night, Brandon and I got to see Lecrae, our favorite rapper, perform at the Rock and Worship Road Show. My bro’s reaction when Lecrae came on stage was definitely priceless! His eyes grew bigger and he kept on saying, “No way!” The biggest surprise of the night? Brandon’s quite the rapper. Is the Christian music world ready for a white MC? Move over KJ-52. Seeing Brandon rap along to Lecrae was something! I’m so glad I got to share in Brandon’s first concert experience.
I think what made my night was Brandon telling me his connection with MercyMe. I never realized how “I Can Only Imagine” was an important song in his salvation story. Of course, you’ll have to ask him to share that with you.
I think Brandon came home from the concert feeling encouraged and inspired. But that’s the thing about corporate worship—we praise our God when we’re happy and when we’re sad, and through that, we are strengthened.
Praise God for last night!
After sleeping around 4am, Jared woke me up around 9am.
We talked about my adventures with Brandon and Kenny last night, as we saw Lecrae and other bands in concert. But I think talking to Jared in the morning was a dream.
Brandon. Me. And this lady in the mall.
- Lady in the Mall: You have beautiful eyes (looks at Brandon).
- Brandon: Thank you. You're the second person that said that to me today.
- Me: Yeah. That lady in the Tmobile store said the same thing.
- Lady in the Mall: And you have a beautiful smile (looks at me).
- Me: Why thank you (Smiles).
- Lady in the Mall: The ladies must be coming at you guys left and right.
- Brandon and me: (Nervous laughter)
- Lady in the Mall: And how old are you (looks at Brandon).
- Brandon: 19.
- Lady in the Mall: Wow, same as my son. He goes to UCSB. And how about you? 19 as well? (looks at me).
- Me: No. I'm 25.
- Lady in the Mall: (Jawdrops) Ohhh. Wow.
- Me: Yeah, I graduated UCLA three years ago. I'm doing a Master's program in seminary now.
- Lady in the Mall: You don't look 25. And what are you going to do?
- Me: Probably be a pastor.
Bronson, one of my best friends, is off in Thailand. His younger brother, Jake, is still in Texas. So Brandon, Daniel, Christine, Jenna, and I did a spontaneous night of dancing courtesy of his parents at the Lobato home.
Brandon trying to stay awake while chatting with me online. Bahahaha. We finished discussing the Bible, particularly about Moses (Deuteronomy 31) and Elijah (2 Kings 2, 2 Chronicles 21). And then we moved our conversation on to Jeremy Lin. And now, it’s sleep time.
God bless him!
<3 my bro.
I love my late night Bible conversations with Brandon. We read the Bible and we’re like…
God has given me the privilege to mentor/disciple Brandon. I absolutely love Brandon and am glad God placed him in my life. Brandon asks me questions about the Bible or about faith almost every day. Sometimes, he asks me questions I’ve never asked myself. And when I’m stumped, I’m forced to research it myself, which only furthers my own understanding and faith.
Thank you God for Brandon.
“He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.” -Proverbs 10:17 (NIV)